2) Despite a rise in terror, by the end of 1995 Israel had removed its troops from the main Palestinian population areas in the West Bank, putting roughly 90% of Palestinians under the control of the PA, the PLO's successor organization.
3) In early 1996 Israel was struck by a wave of suicide bombings on buses, subsequently, Netanyahu was elected to his first term as PM.
5) In 2000 Israel withdrew all of its troops from Lebanon. The withdrawal was certified as complete by the UN.
4) After Netanyahu was voted out of office in 1999, his successor Barak met with Arafat in 2000 and offered the PA leader a peace deal. Arafat said no, and two months later started a bloody terror war.
6) Hezbollah built up its arsenal and terror infrastructure in southern Lebanon leading to a war in 2006 and remaining a significant threat on Israel's northern border.
8) Palestinian leaders (Arafat in 2000 and Abbas in 2008 - at least) refused peace deals that would have ended the conflict.
7) Israel withdrew its troops and citizens from Gaza in 2005. Subsequently Hamas built up its arsenal and terror infrastructure leading to wars in late 2008, in 2012 and in 2014 and remaining a significant threat on Israel's southern border.
In the first two cases (1996 and 2000) you were part of the team that shaped events. Now you're saying that Netanyahu plays to Israel's fears not hopes.
Abbas refused to negotiate with Israel and pays terrorists, violating the principles accepted by Arafat.
If Netanyahu resonates with the Israeli electorate, it isn't just that he understands it better than you do. It's also that Israelis see that they can't trust you and people like you to stand up for them when they do what you consider to be the right thing and suffer for it.
My God, Israel listened to you (and subsequently like-minded individuals) and paid a huge price for it. How dare you dismiss Israeli fears.
So please think long and hard before you mock the Israeli electorate for having fears.
They see someone like you who demands that Israel makes peace for its own good and legitimacy, but pays little more than lip service to the idea that the Palestinians have any agency to make peace or moral responsibility to do it.
There are multiple ways to embed @soccerdhg's unrolled
1. Direct link
2. Use iframe
Sharing is caring 😍
Like this thread of @soccerdhg?
it with your friends & followers.
Love Thread Readers? Upgrade to premium to unlock all features
A whole new way to explore your interests. Convert your Thread to PDF,
save and print. Subscribe to interesting authors and be notified when new unroll is
available. Auto publish your threads on Medium and WordPress websites.